Casstrom No10 Swedish Forest Knife Bubinga 13102
This robust full-tang knife is built for versatile use for bushcraft, survival and general outdoor and hunting use in the woods. It is a very sturdy knife that you can use to skin a moose as well as carve hard wood or split smaller logs with. The blade is about 10cm long and made from approx. 4mm thick O2 high carbon tool steel ( Böhler K720 ) heat treated to achieve a hardness of 58-60 HRC. The knife is sharpened with either a Scandinavian grind or alternatively a so-called Full Flat grind. The blade has a satin finish.
The difference between Scandinavian grind and a Full Flat grind
This steel in combination with a Scandinavian grind makes these knives very tough and resilient to heavy chores, even with the point. It also allows the knife to be controlled very accurately when carving wood. This Grind is particularly suitable for bushcraft use. When re-sharpening the whole bevel should be sharpenend in order to maintain its properties or a secondary bevel can be added to make the edge even stronger.
The Full flat ground version is sharpened from the spine of the blade with a more acute angle and with a less acute secondary bevel. This grind makes the knives very effective at cutting softer materials, it makes them even more versatile yet still very strong. Some control is lost for carving wood but the knife is easier to use for skinning, preparing food and most day to day chores. When re-sharpening the Full Flat grind only the secondary bevel is re-sharpened with an angle of approx 40-50 degrees in total.
The handle is 12cm long and available in classic Oak, dark Bubinga hardwood, green linen Micarta laminate or Curly Birch. Between the handle scales and steel are black liners to increase durability over time . The handle is secured with strong brass rivets which also gives them great classic look. The wood has been treated with a traditional Scandinavian linseed mixture.
The knife comes with a very sturdy cognac brown knife sheath (black for the green micarta version) made from 3mm thick vegetable tanned leather. The sheaths have an extra wide belt loop, an opening in the bottom for liquid, and a hole for a lanyard strap.
ABOUT THE STEEL:
O2 HIGH CARBON TOOL STEEL
Böhler Tool Steel K720 (O2) is a very tough and strong oil hardened high carbon tool steel. The focus of the steel is toughness and edge stability. The chemical composition allows it to be hardened to a high degree whilst maintaining ductility and toughness. This means the blade holds its edge for longer at the same time as it is resistant to chipping and cracking under heavy use. This steel also has a very fine structure making it easy to sharpen and achieve a razor sharp edge with. Whilst easy to sharpen, the low chromium content means it will tarnish if left wet and it must therefore be wiped after use and protected by oil or wax when put away for storage if you want to avoid tarnish building up.
Steel analysis: C. 0.9%, Si. 0.25%, Mn. 2.0%, Cr. 0.35% V. 0.1% (HRC 58-60)
What 's new about the new version :
- Now available with Handles in curly birch.
- Available with Full Flat grind or Scandinavian grind.
- The handle is a little longer, and fuller, now fits more hand sizes, even larger hands .
- The position of the index finger has been moved up and the finger guard is slightly reduced in order to be able to get closer to the blade in a convenient way with different grips .
- The blade is slightly wider to increase strength for really rough use .
- The cutting edge is slightly straighter, even the tip of the knife, and is therefore easier to carve with.
- Brass rivets that give a classic look .
- The sheath has a belt loop that sticks up and finishes just under the end of the shaft to make sure the knife doesn’t become uncomfortable when sitting with it on the belt.
- The side sheath stitching has now been completed with a rivet at the top, and the belt loop is now attached with rivets instead of stitching to increase durability and operating life of the sheath.
- Micarta version is now sold with black sheath.
YOU NEED TO BE OVER 18 TO PURCHASE THIS KNIFE.